Sunday 8 January 2012

Happy Birthday Didi!

It seems fitting to start this blog on my grandmother's birthday as she is the one who started me on the journey to trace our family tree! 

It was a long journey from Garmouth in Scotland to Sydney for our ancestor Robert Cameron and probably felt longer for Didi as she hunted down documentation the hard way - letter writing, contacting slightly-related rels, visiting cemeteries, waiting for transcriptions. A completely different experience for me as I haven't really haven't had to wait much longer than the click of a mouse for the information I have collated! 

Over 20 years or so she collected a lot of information about the family she had married into - Camerons descended from Robert Cameron (born 11 April 1827 in Garmouth and married to Betsy Murdoch) in Australia. I have been tasked with keeping the archives complete and adding to them where possible, which is what I'm enjoying doing in my spare time. 

This blog aims to share what information has been collected (and is being collected) about each of the members of "Cam's Fam"- a affectionate reference to my gorgeous grandfather who his grandkids all called Pa but who was known as "Cam" to others throughout much of his adult life. I'm sure as this blog progresses there were will twists and turns through history and along the branches of the family tree with a strong focus on the paternal line of the Camerons. 

On that note, I will diverge slightly to recap some of the stories making news on the day of Didi's birth in 1925[1], care of the National Library of Australia's website TROVE which provides digitised copies of many of Australia's old newspapers, free!


CAR SWAMPED. CREEK RISES SUDDENLY. MOTORISTS' ESCAPE. DUBBO, Wednesday. p. 8
NEW GUINEA. Colonel Ainsworth's Report. ASIATIC LABOUR FAVOURED. p. 8
WATERFRONT TROUBLE. More Vessels Held Up. SEVERAL EFFORTS AT SETTLEMENT. Strong Move by State Cabinet. NEW WATERSIDE LABOUR EXCHANGE. p. 9


[1] 1925 The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 8 January, p. 1, viewed 8 January, 2012, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page1223173  

No comments:

Post a Comment